Beach Season: Vanilla Cupcake with Mint Buttercream Icing and a Royal Icing Anchor
The season of summer is finally here, and has abruptly hit the UK with heats of 30C! So whilst we're all gulping ice cold water, sitting in paddling pools, being surrounded by fans and wearing nothing but our underwear as we hoover the house, I decided to bake a summer inspired cupcake. When I think of the summer, I imagine clear blue skies, beaches and the ocean - so here are anchor cupcakes with mint icing!
The anchor on top was made from royal icing (egg whites, icing sugar and water) and I will try and put up a post on a demonstration on how I made them soon, but in the mean time I'm sure you'll be able to purchase something similar online.
On to the recipe:
125g butter (softened, but in this heat i'm sure it'll already be practically melted)
125g caster sugar
2 large beaten eggs
125g self raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
Mint Buttercream Icing
300g icing sugar
1 tsp blue food colouring (preferably gel as it doesn't alter the consistency)
1 tsp mint extract flavouring (be sparing with this as it could be overpowering)
1. Cream together the butter and sugar for 3 minutes until pale and smooth
2. Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract, one egg at a time gently until they are combined
3. Sift in the flour and baking powder and fold in carefully, making sure you keep in the air
4. Place the mixture into lined cupcake tins (about one spoon full, 3/4 of the case full)
5. Place in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes or until golden brown
6. Whilst the cupcakes are cooling get started on the icing
7. Sift the icing sugar and combine with the butter until pale and smooth
8. Add the food colouring and flavouring until you get a mint green colour and subtle mint flavour (think the intensity of an after eight)
9. Using a piping bag with a star nozzle pipe the icing in a circle motion on top of the cupcake, blue glitter is opional (but when is it not a good idea to use an excessive amount of glitter)
10. Place the anchor on top!
There you have it, vanilla cupcake with mint buttercream icing and a royal icing anchor. Hope you have a lovely time in the heat, whether it be in an air conditioned room or lying on the beach!